Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Aussie Day!! from NZ...

Why G'Day!

I woke up next to my lovely Ben this morning after having a rather strange dream about Avis and penises and my third thought (after 'What the...?' and 'I need to get out more...') was 'It's Aussie Day'! I have been encouraging Ben to have a half day today so we can listen to the Hottest 100 together, or more to the point, so I can have company and don't feel like such a loner. I reckon I'm pushing shit uphill a bit though as the world doesn't stop because it's Australia Day and I'm here on my own.

How depressing!

Like a good little Aussie I am listening to Magic Dirt and and contemplating making Lamingtons. Here is the first recipe I came across:

Ingredients:
4 oz butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 cup milk


Chocolate icing:
4 cups (454 grams) icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (30 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk


Coating:
2 cups (480 ml) unsweetened desiccated coconut, finely ground

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar, add vanilla, beat in eggs. Fold in dry ingredients alternately with milk. Spoon into greased and lined pan (approx 8" x 11") Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes. Cool and store for a day. Cut into squares; dip in chocolate icing, then roll in coconut.


Icing:
Place the icing sugar, cocoa powder, butter and milk in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth and of pouring consistency.


How exciting for you! I have come to realise that this blog has become therapy for me rather than news for you, good reader. Thanks, you are a great listener.
 
Let me think... news... I am reading War and Peace. How's that for news!
 
Anyway, enjoy your Australia Day. Have a beer for me.
 
xxx

Later that day...
My Lamingtons look amazing! I can't wait to eat one. I have made a 'DO NOT EAT US SIGN' to stick up in the fridge because no doubt once Benji gets home they will be short lived. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment